Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Fantastic Fantasy (Part 2)

Last time I told a bit about the Warhammer Fantasy game I played and about one I observed for a while. In this part I will start by reporting on my second engagement of the day. This second battle was versus those heraldic Bretonnians bringing back good old Knighthood and Chivalry into Warhammer Fantasy battles.

Dice rolls decided the kind of scenario and the different scenery items we used as well as who would start our game. This honour fell upon the Bretonnians but their vows committed them to start praying first. My Orcs now took initiative, yelling " let 'um pray fur bash by choppa" and after a few minor but noisy internal squabbles they eagerly advanced straight on towards the nearest enemy troops.
 
Now in my humble opinion the real strength of the Bretonnian army lies in their units of mounted Knights. These guys are almost unstoppable and with their multiple save abillities prove very tuff nuts to crack. We had a lot of combat going on and the fight went from one side having the advantage swinging over to the other side being on top. Gigantic rocks fired by stone throwers crushed many a units' rank and file. On one flank of the battlefield combat consisted of firing hails of arrows on each other, sometimes to no avail but with deadly effect in other turns.
 
On our battlefield lay an enchanted river and when a unit crossed it risked being cooked to the bone by boiling water. In fact this terrain piece split our field of glory in two seperate fighting areas. The struggle between my greenskins and their knightly opponents was a very close call. In the end however it were the Bretonnians that came out victorious! My Orc Big Boss wandered off in shame due to yet another battle lost.
This was my final action with the greenskin Waaagh I brought along for the Fantasy battleday. It also meant that I had time left to visit a few battles held by some of the other players present. I observed two different engagements of the Wood Elve army that I had previously encountered. These Elves first took on a Chaos Warrior force followed by combat against yet another greenskin Waaagh, this time consisting mainly out of Savage Orcs. The cunning wood fellows were utterly beaten by the might of the Chaos Warriors but the outcome of the clash versus those powerful Savage Orcs was in their favour again.

 
I really had a most wonderful time playing miniature wargames. For me it was several months ago that I practiced a few Warhammer Fantasy battles, and those were based on the 7th edition rules. The ones of last Sunday followed the 8th edition rulesset. I lost both of my engagements but the one feeling that prevails is that I had a great hobby experience with other Fantastic Fantasy enthusiastics.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment